Monday, August 5, 2013

Hydration

Sunday Sheila and I headed out on our 50 mile bike ride.  I started with two big water bottles, with half gatorade, and half water.  We filled up at BLORA, after going about 25 miles.  When we reached about 40 miles, we hit the guard shack to get on post, and I begged them to fill up my water bottles again.  By the time we finished all 50 miles, I was out of water again.

I still felt thirsty, and I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.  I did read an article that talked about excessive sweaters, and wondered if that was my problem.  I don't usually sweat excessively, or so I thought.  Granted I do live in Texas, and it did get hot, hot, hot.

I'm worried that I need to strap 20 water bottles on my bike, as well as a few camelbaks.  Granted the temps will hopefully be cooler when we race in October, but I am still concerned that I'll be passed out somewhere on the side of the course because even with aid stations I run out of water.  Is there something that I am missing on the hydration front?

What's the best way to approach this?  How do I ensure that I stay hydrated.  I did need to stop for a potty break at mile 25, but after the next 4 bottles and a giant gatorade when I got home, I didn't use the restroom again till about 2 hours after I got home.

I'm open to any suggestions at this point (you know, from the two people that read this!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog on google search. I am a teacher and am entertaining the idea of thinking about getting back into triathlon. When I did my 70.3's before...I was a stay at home mom and had plenty of time while kids were in school. Now that I'm working, I'm wondering if it's possible. I want that M dot!!

    ReplyDelete